SMGSL offers a BLASTBALL!® division for players aged 3 to 4 years old. BLASTBALL!® is an excellent introductory game for beginner boys and girls who wish to play softball or baseball. The structure of the games allows for more action for a younger players short attention spans. More kids get to be involved which helps them develop and retain an interest in the sport. The game is safe and uses a foam bat and ball.
BLASTBALL!® teaches the basic softball/baseball fundamentals of hitting, throwing, and fielding while emphasizing the importance of teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Eligible players must be 3 years old by the 1st game of the current season, and must not be older than 4 years old by the first practice of the season.
- Playing field will consist of a 1st base loaded with a horn and a home plate where the batter will hit from a “Tee”.
- All defensive players will line up at least 40 feet away from home plate.
- A distance marker should be set at 10 feet from home plate. Any ball hit past the distance marker and inside the foul lines will be considered a fair ball and the batter shall advance to 1st base.
- 1st base will be set at a distance of 30 feet from home plate.
- All players will be supplied with a team t-shirt.
- Batters must wear batting helmets when batting
- All equipment for BlastBall will be furnished to the coach. The coach is responsible for the care and upkeep of the equipment. Coaches will pick-up equipment prior to the season, and return it at the end of the season. Furnished equipment will include:
- Equipment bag
- Blast base
- Blast tee
- Blast Bat
- 2 Blast Balls
- Distance marker
- 2 Helmets
- The home team’s coach will be responsible for setting the field up for their game.
- The game length is 45 minutes
- Each team will bat their entire roster during the game
- If the game is called because of darkness or inclement weather, it will be declared a complete game if twenty -five (25) minutes are completed prior to the stopping of play.
- No score or win/loss records will be kept.
- There will be no score keeper, however an SMGSL Board Member will be at the fields should you have any questions.
- Each BlastBall team must have two (2) coaches on the field of play at all times.
- No offensive player will be allowed on the field unless he/she is wearing a batting helmet.
- Each team will bat its entire roster in each inning one complete time, which will constitute a half inning of play.
- Each turn at bat the batting order will be reversed. (example: if a player bats last in the 1st inning he/she will bat first in the next inning).
- When at bat, the object is to hit a fair ball, reach the base and sound the horn before the defensive team fields the ball, holds it above their head and yells “Blast”.
- Each batter will return to the dugout after running to 1st base.
- Each batter will receive a maximum of six (6) swings in which to hit a fair ball.
- A fair ball is any ball between the foullines and past the 10-foot distance marker in front of home plate.
- When on defense, all players will play a defensive position at least 40 feet from home plate. No player shall play catcher.
- Defense will consist of 1 pitcher and at least 4 infielders.
- The home team will be responsible for setting up the field for the game.
- Coaches will also serve as umpires while on the field.
- Game 3 – a 2nd base will be added, and the kids will run to 2nd (then leave the field)
- Game 5 – a 3rd base will be added, and the kids will run to 3rd (then leave the field)
- Game 7 – Home Base will be added, and the kids will run all of the bases before returning to the dugout.